Monday, November 9, 2009

Birthday Bonaza

my family is in the midst of the craziness of birthday season. this year it began early with my niece at the end of october, whereas it usually starts with my dad's on nov 7, continues through my sister krissa's today (which just so happens to be the same day the berlin wall fell = nov 9, 1989), mine on thursday, sister kayla's on the 22nd, sister kiana's dec 15th, and wraps up jan 5 with sister kendra's. then a short break before the month of may which has more (mom's and brother-in-law's).

and that is just my immediate family. which means grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins whose birthdays fall into this time span are not listed.

i've been getting a few birthday cards already since i'm actually not going to be around bemidji on my birthday. the cards have all had quarters taped in them. i'm surmising (big word, right?) that this is because i will be turning 25. so i get 25 cents for my 25th. i think it's pretty awesome. something small and tangible to put into the card.

but back to the fact that i will be traveling. it has been challenging to stay focused on what is going on with my job since i am prepping for a trip back to south dakota to see my family. we will be officially celebrating my niece's first birthday (since no one had the time to travel in october) and thanksgiving (since at least 4 out of us have to work either the day before, day of or day after thanksgiving). of course, this is all taking place on my birthday weekend. not that i'm being greedy or anything, but i am excited that i am able to share my day with people i love.

so thursday is the first leg of my trip. i will be traveling to watertown, sd from my current location in bemidji, mn. one of my bestest friends ever lives and works there. i'm super excited to see megan that night.

then friday is the second leg of the trip as i travel across the state of south dakota. literally. i will cut from the northeast corner to the far western part to near sturgis where kendra lives with her hubby trevor and daughter libby. i'll pick up krissa from the airport while kayla picks up kiana on her way through parkston from omaha. that day kendra, kayla and i (those over 21) are thinking about going to famous deadwood for the night and leaving krissa and kiana (under 21) home to watch libby. sister bonding time.

saturday will be the day of feasting and festing. i volunteered to cook the turkey. and apple crisp. and bread. cause i like to cook for other people. mom and dad will be driving out that day to join us younguns. and i'm stoked that all the fam will be there.

then, sadly enough, i will be taking off sunday morning to start the trek back to bemidji. it will be at least 10 hours on the road as i head north towards bismark, nd then head east towards minnesota. that's right, scenic trip through north dakota. nothing like having a round trip.

but despite the fact that i will be spending over 24 hours in my car, i'm thinking that it will be a great birthday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment