Tuesday, October 27, 2009

the great outdoors

So today I was fortunate enough to get to spend time in the great outdoors. My supervisor Mark and I (after having a text study which abounded with local pastors and robing up to walk through the Lutheran liturgy for some students who are from an evangelical tradition) set out with four-wheelers. We toured the woods at a parishioner's house and I was able to see the deer stands (two simply ladders up in trees and two stand alone structures that remind me of tree houses). The "sissy stands" were dubbed Spongebob and Patrick. Pretty fancy and I didn't fall out of either of them. Success!

But back to the four-wheelin adventure,

So after a very brief instructional on how to not kill myself on the machine (and how to start it, use brakes, shift), we took off. Through a very, very, very, very bumpy field. It looked nice for the beginner, but those pesky gopher mounds were disguised behind the tall grass. So I was not having fun learning how to control the 4w (as I shall henceforth refer to the four-wheeler). No fun a'tall.

But it got easier with time. And with smoother trails. Even going up and down hills was easier than those pesky gopher mounds.

Oh, and highlight of the day: I jumped a log. And it was the first road block I ever encountered on a 4w.

And I didn't even have to get off the 4w and use my very own two legs to do so. Somehow I managed to get the 4w airborne. Mark thought it was fantastic and one of the coolest things ever, but I just remember being freaked out that I was in the air for a split second and not connected to the ground. Even better was the fact that the log I managed to spring over like a sprightly deer had been an extreme challenge for Mark to get over.

So I just hope that I did not get injured or sustain whiplash or something from this excursion. Cause that would be no fun. No fun a'tall.

I did love being out in the fresh air and doing something more active than I had been while cooped up indoors.

And I get a decent story out of all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment