Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sunday update

Special note: 100th post!

This past Sunday was a lot of fun. I noticed that I'm much more relaxed the last couple weeks. Partly because my committee submitted their eval, so I'm home free! And I no longer act or dress to please them (which I really didn't do). At least, I no longer feel the pressure to live up to ridiculous expectations. I can be me. The me that is the one called by God, not the me that they saw.

So I led worship. I had two acolytes but no assistant. And it was the traditional service where we always have assistants since their is a lot of chanting and various activities. So I was complemented for being able to handle everything myself. Which is actually how I prefer it. I don't really like the tag-teaming for worship. I find that it distracts more than anything. One person alone can permit better transitions...But that's just my opinion.

My sermon was not typed out but was the outline form. I had woken up Saturday morning with the complete sermon rolling through my head. I've missed that experience all year. So much pressure and stress had been preventing the easy flow of words that God gives me when I am able to simply exist.

Here is the outline: 
Let’s talk about faith and promises…
What is faith? What do we have faith in? Who do we have faith in? (belief/trust in family, friends, doctors, medicine, GOD)
What is a promise? Something to be fulfilled, we wait for it, not be forgotten, hoped for, etc
But what does all that really mean?
Hebrews 11:1 – Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen
Assurance of God’s promises – what are God’s promises? Love, care, healing, peace, salvation, etc. God is good and faithful
Conviction of what we do not see – bit of a challenge
My year…negative beliefs lead to only seeing to negative which leads to more negative beliefs…possibility of ending internship not because of conflict but the constant negativity – in the grips of Satan and felt like Job
God moment – at rock bottom, realized that things had to change and relied upon God to open my eyes to see the good
Belief and attitude affects our ability to see God’s blessings around us
Faith in what I was not seeing at that time, esp when I rely so much on my eyesight and instead learning to rely on God
It’s not “seeing is believing” but “believing is seeing”
Eyes can deceive – optical illusion, only see what we’re looking for
When belief guides our sight, our eyes are opened to previously ignored sights
Promises I see God working on fulfilling for me, you, Bethel, ELCA, worldwide churches:
·         God gives us strength (Phil 4:13, God brings you to it and sees you thru),
·         God cares for us (Matthew 6:25-34)
·         God has plans for us (Jeremiah 29:11-14a)
So remember, whenever you start not be so assured or convicted, hold fast to faith in God, in whom and through whom all things are possible.
Thanks be to God. Amen.


That afternoon was busy. And hot. But busy. Cause I went on a picnic with a few ladies from church at a nearby lake. About 10 miles or so from Bemidji. It was around 90 degrees out, which was basically as warm as it gets up here.

Then I went over to eat supper with some other parishioners, look at quilts and go to the county fair next door. Nothing quite like crashing two different county fairs in as many weeks...But highlights of were walking through the quilt building. Open class up here is quilting extravaganza. Here are some of my faves (note that I have no idea who did them...). FYI: Obama's face is composed of over 500 pieces of fabric...

No comments:

Post a Comment