Tuesday, June 8, 2010

spaghetti

i've been doing a lot of reading lately.

while some of it involves the bible (gotta love text studies where pastors gather to read the coming sunday's text or the bible study i'm leading on the book of proverbs), most of it does not.

i'm an avid reader. love books. serious problem for me since my memory is very good at remembering the stories i read which means i can't just pick up a book i've read within the last year cause i'll remember all the details. which means that in order to read something that is not boring, i need to find books that are either new or old enough that i've forgotten what happens.

thankfully, libraries exist for just that purpose.

so i've been a library patron with a few books out at a time. and i had forgotten how much i love checking out books that are not for study or research but are instead for enjoyment.

of course, if you know me (and to know me is to love me), then you also know that prefer read books that have little/nothing to do with theology. like science fiction, fantasy, romance, mild mystery. books that help me to escape the reality that can bog me down.

this past lent, i had issued a challenge to not read anything books but the bible in an attempt to give up something i love and to ground me firmly in the word of God. of course, this challenge did not extend to any commentaries i read in order to prepare sermons or bible studies. 

that was a major challenge for me, but i have to admit i did like the adjustments in my life as i instead focused upon God and this world instead of escape.

but i'm thinking that i'm playing catch-up (a few months later) to make up for lost time. which is nice but probably not the wisest course of action for me.

cause i've gone on fantasy binges, "good" book binges, only watch tv or movies binges (just to spice up my doldrum life of reading), romance (lately christian or inspirational romance instead of smut) binges. 

lately i've also started to read some "good" books. good because they are the books that make you think about life or God or other weighty issues that hurt my brain when I try to understand. books that i may or may not agree with.

this past year some of my fave "good" books include basically anything written by mitch albom, the last lecture (amazing read i heartily recommend), the shack (neat idea for a plot), dakota (read it so many times yet still love kathleen norris's classic)

it's amazing that for the first time in my life, i like reading books that reflect upon the meaning of life. i like reading books where the author grapples with theology.

i still love being able to escape into other worlds where there is love at first sight (ahh...romance...) or supernatural beings (especially witches and fairies...oh how i love magic).

so i guess i'm growing up (possibly even maturing) as my taste in reading changes.

not that i'm going to give up reading books about dragons or fairies or witches or far-off lands or impossible love.

cause that would just be cruel and unusual punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment