Sunday, May 9, 2010

may 9 sermon


May the words of my mouth and the meditations of our souls be pleasing unto you, O Lord our Rock and Redeemer. Amen
What are some words we would use in order to explain what peace is?
Absence of war or strife? Absence of anger or hostility? Sense of calm? Tranquility? Wholeness? Harmony? Pleasant? Happy?
I think, for all us, peace is a positive. Is there anyone who doesn’t like peace? Peace is something good to strive for, something that we long for, especially when we don’t have it.
I asked some friends to help provide me with some examples of when peace can settle upon us. And I was struck by one in particular.
We have all heard a baby cry. And cry and cry. We know how those cries pierce our hearts. But then the child falls asleep. And there is a peace that settles. A quiet that is almost tangible. We breathe a sigh of relief as the house falls quiet.
But such a peace is just temporary. It doesn’t last forever. Because the sleeping child will awake. But the temporary respite, the little bit of peace we get is enough to get us through the next few hours.
Whenever I think of peace, my mind takes me back to the places and times where I felt calm and at peace with the world. Peace was a form of quiet and the ultimate stage of rest and relaxation.
I go back to the places where I could escape from the stress and turmoil of life. From schedules and agendas, from trying people. Where I could forget all the bad and be at peace. When I felt a peace in my mind and soul.
Picture some of those places. Imagine walking through the woods and hearing nothing but the birds. Or standing on top of a mountain with a glorious view. Or standing outside as the snow falls and the entire world is quiet.
Those are some of my most peaceful memories. Not in the middle of an airport when planes are delayed. I don’t feel at peace when driving through traffic already running late. Such a contrast to being out in nature where I can breathe. Where I can be at peace.
Remember some of those other definitions? Like the absence of war. Pretty simple definition. If you are not at war, you are at peace. That doesn’t mean there isn’t still some worry or stress. That there is no anger or disappointment or hostility. Or frustration or injustice. But in political terms, times of peace can still have some of the negative as long as you are not killing each other.
But there is more to peace than avoiding war and killing. Because we also want to exclude the negative emotions. We want to have harmony between all people. Peace should be harmony. We want peace to be purged of all the bad.
Because that’s what peace is, right?
I know that’s my ideal definition of peace. Peace is the ultimate ideal to be lived up to. Peace is harmony and joy without any strife or anger.
But life is not always so peaceful. Life is more complicated and messy. And the chaos often prevents us from living a life of peace. Sometimes is seems as though there is little to no peace. Because there is always someone you may disagree with, someone you dislike. Someone who is not at peace with us.
But the message today does not say that we will be at peace with everyone. The message today is that the gift of peace is given not in the same way the world gives.
I don’t think that the peace Jesus is talking about is the same peace as putting the kids to bed for the night. I don’t think the peace is the quiet of nature. I think peace is beyond that.
Because those moments are temporary. The peace we find on our own does not last. But the peace that Jesus promises is different.
I have often thought about what God’s peace looks like. In the Bible, peace was the absence of war and killing. But peace was also a blessing.
For the Hebrews, peace was also a wholeness. A sense of health and well-being. Peace was a blessing from God where your entire body was cared for.
For the early Christians, peace went beyond that definition to include concord and harmony within the church. Peace was also a spiritual blessing. A blessing given through the Holy Spirit.
I wonder if there is something to the fact that Jesus does not give peace to us the way that the world  does. I don’t understand why and how Jesus is leaving peace. When I read that he is leaving his peace, I thought of looking down, right in front of my face, and seeing a present wrapped with a bow. A gift that I can pick up and open. Something I can touch.
But peace is not one of those gifts you can touch. It’s not something we can really reach out and grab. Peace is something we feel and experience.
Human beings are not generally a peace-filled people. We often have some disagreements and arguments. We don’t always get along perfectly with one another. But we are able to be at peace with one another when we can avoid killing. When we can continue to live.
Peace is somehow connected to living in faith. To hearing and obeying the teachings of Christ. To love and understanding. Peace is about relationship.
I’m pretty sure that God is able to give us the ability to do peace, to make peace, to live in peace. Jesus has given us everything we need.
The peace that Jesus gives is definitely a spiritual blessing. A tranquility of the soul that only the Holy Spirit can provide.
And this particular peace goes hand-in-hand with obeying God. As Jesus tells us in today’s gospel, those who love God are those who hear the Word of God. They are the ones who are able to listen and obey. They are the ones who are taught and reminded.
We are reminded because we can forget. But the Spirit is here to remind us and to bring us that peace that passes all understanding.
This peace that we are promised is one of the heart and soul. A peace that settles upon us and renews us. A peace that brings us closer to God and renews our faith.
So this morning, let us be reminded. Let us hear that promise Jesus speaks: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled. And do not let them be afraid.”
Thanks be to God for the gift of peace. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment