Thursday, April 1, 2010

i heart people

on sunday i found a location that was balm to my soul.

it was not the first time i had been there

in fact, nor was it the second or third or fourth...

that's right. this was my fifth trip to havenwood care center, a local nursing home

i admit that i often feel uber-uncomfortable in nursing homes. i never know what to talk about.

but today, when i was there to preach and lead worship, i found myself sticking around for over an hour after the service just to talk with people over birthday cake and coffee (or in my case, hot chocolate)

it was a nice time for me to be able to relax and simply enjoy people. i was still a bit awkward, but i loved it. and i enjoyed getting compliments from some of the elderly who attended the worship. afterwards several said they appreciated or enjoyed my sermon. one loved the smile and light in my eyes.

and i enjoyed talking with the staff and volunteers. one even volunteered to take me around to the local small towns. and i'm going to take her up on it. cause she was fun as she said that when she shook hands with me, she felt that she just wanted to hug me. just like some of the others did. i got more hugs today at the nursing home than i did in the last week.

and i loved it.

so i might just have to show up sometime during the week or on sundays to have coffee with them.

because five days later i still smile and am happy.

isn't it amazing how some friendly people and good conversations can keep you going all week with a positive attitude?

No comments:

Post a Comment