Wednesday, March 30, 2011

givin up

seriously, i am this close (imagine me holding up my hand and doing the little pinch sign) to completely failing at my lenten resolution to give up facebook...

but i'm not failing because i came up with my own rules as i went along since i didn't establish them beforehand (nor did i even decide to do this until after lent started, so i figure it's all flexible)

my rules (still free to adaptation):
1. reading fb messages via gmail doesn't count (cause i didn't log on to fb to read em)
2. i stored up days to be on fb just like sick days or vacation that roll over from year to year that can be used at my discretion
3. i gave myself one day a week plus i hear that each sunday is a mini-easter that doesn't count anyway. so that's 2 days a week by my math
4. as long as i don't join twitter, i will succeed in life
5. the day(s) i go on facebook can vary each week

i have learned a few things about me and my life:
1. it's really hard to not be updating my status all the time.
2. when i do post an update, it's hard to simply let it be without checking to see what others write in response (cause i don't get the responses emailed to me)
3. it's a relief to be disconnected - less pressure, more free time
4. it's sad, difficult, frustrating to be disconnected - i hate not knowing what's going on in the lives of my friends or acquaintances
5. i had forgotten how to plan events or communicate with people without the ease of facebook messages or events - how did people plan events without simply creating a page and clicking the people you want to invite? do people send invites to anything anymore (exceptions: bridal showers and weddings)?
6. facebook is literally the only way i have for communicating with some people since i don't have their mailing address, phone number or email

No comments:

Post a Comment