Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Quilts and music

I have begun to join various groups to get to know people better. So now, in addition to really long Wednesdays that start with staff meetings and Bible studies in the morning to end with youth activities at night. Then to rise early for a really long Thursday that begins with the quilting and ends with music. I am part of two choirs (bell choir and the run-of-the-mill singing choir) as well as helping out the quilters. Of course, I am on the young end of the age scale among the quilters. But they seem really excited to have me there and helping out since many of their members are no longer around, whether due to the fact they have passed away or moved to another state.

The quilters are fun. They make quilts based on quantity (and the ability to keep people warm) and not so much the quality (since they were asked to not make works of art as a means to prevent the quilts from ending up on the black market or something...). And the last 20 quilts have been all the same colors. I like them, but I can understand how it can become tiresome to always look at the same patterns day after day. Anyway, I am learning different abilities. Like how to cut ridiculously large pieces of fabric or quilting batting. Or to pin together tops, batting and bottoms. Or to tie. Oh wait, I already knew how to tie quilts. But they keep asking if I can sew. As in, use a sewing machine. Which I have not done in about 10 years or so. Not my forte, but perhaps I shall relearn since they are low on sewers.

Bell choir shall be interesting. I have never had to look through music just so I can find one single note to play instead of following a line. In band I always had just my part on the sheet in front of me. In choir, I always looked for the soprano (or alto, depending on what part I would be told to sing since I am so flexible) line to follow. But for bell choir I get assigned to play a specific note or notes. Like being told to play A and A flat (dealing with key changes or accidentals). Which means that I have to look through the music in order to find each instance where an A or an Ab will be played. It is definitely a different way to read music, but I think I can get the hang of it quickly.

Choir will be interesting. I was asked to sing alto since each choir always has an abundance of women who want to sing the soprano part. I don't really mind, but I am noticing that I find the alto part to be far easier. The note range is easy on my voice, which means that I am not feeling pushed or strained to get better with my range. And I find singing the harmony ridiculously easy as well. I guess I am just so good at being able to always sing the part I have been taught time and again with little to know problem. Once I get the notes down, I can sing them. Now the challenge will be to keep my energy and interest in the songs since I have a tendency to get bored once I know the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment